Rare is the person who doesn’t enjoy a good cupcake. In fact, they’ve actually become something of an art form; visit Pinterest or Google food blogs and you’ll see the offerings are endless—both in flavour and design, and ranging from kid-pleasing to adult-focused.
As children embark on pre-school or kindergarten, their social world instantly expands. Birthday celebrations will start to look a little different than previous gatherings that may merely have consisted of immediate family and grandparents! Enter the world of the birthday party. One area that you can make life far easier for yourself – and still be a hit at the same time—is by serving cupcakes. Having cupcakes for even one of the following five reasons will have you patting yourself on the back at the end of the party.
- Cupcakes are less expensive than a custom cake. While both cakes and cupcakes can be made incredibly elaborate—and be priced accordingly, cupcakes are generally cheaper to provide on a per-serving basis.
- Cupcakes are easier to manage. Serving individually wrapped cupcakes is far less messy than serving slices of cake. Plus, you eliminate the need for utensils—which can still be difficult for younger children to use. Seriously, consider the odds that pieces of cake will end up on a lap or floor due to less than fully-developed motor skills.
- Cupcakes are more apt to get eaten. There is nothing more discouraging than putting hours of time and effort—and expense—into a cake only to notice during clean-up that a good portion of each slice remains on the plate. Between the excitement of the festivities, and generally smaller appetites, many young children may enjoy some frosting and a bite or two, with the rest of their serving being destined for disposal. The perfect serving size of the cupcake effectively reduces the chance of significant waste.
- Cupcakes double as a birthday activity. While this isn’t for everyone, DIY cupcake decorating can be a fun way to gather the party guests around the table. Depending on the age, kids can frost their own prior to adding their creative touches, or you can simply supply the cupcakes already frosted and provide an assortment of age-appropriate toppings—gummies, for instance, are easy for younger guests to use.
- Cupcakes allow for a range of presentation ideas. The presentation at the table is not limited to simply displaying them on a tray—though that’s fine, too. Arrange them as a centrepiece according to some aspect of the party theme; create an attractive pattern or clever shape. Even assembling them in the shape of your child’s new age would be appreciated by the little guest of honour and his or her visitors! Consider adding dramatic effect by using a tiered dessert stand. The options are as big as your imagination!